About This Episode
This week, we’re excited to welcome the very talented and funny Jonathan Wickremasinghe-Kuhn and then listen to his hilarious true story, Off-Target.
About the Storyteller: Jonathan Wickremasinghe-Kuhn
Jonathan Wickremasinghe-Kuhn grew up in Selma, Alabama and attended the University of Southern California, where he received both his BFA in Writing for Screen and Television and his Master of Professional Writing degree.
He has performed story-telling multiple times at The Moth and for the Two Truths & A Lie podcast.
His plays have been produced by the A Light in Dark Places Festival, the Paragon Festival, Exposition Review, Stage Left Theater, Laughing Pig Theatre, Carrollwood Players Theatre, Magnetic Theatre, and Crafton Hills College.
About the Cast
Off-Target was performed by:
The author, Jonathan Wickremasinghe-Kuhn, and a Target Shopping Basket
The remains of the ACTUAL shopping basket which the paramedics were sent out to extract Jonathan from in his story, Off-Target.
- (00:00) Welcome to Stories Found
- (00:31) Our featured organization this week is 826 National
- (01:37) We’re talking to screenwriter Jonathan Wickremasinghe-Kuhn about his hilarious story Off-Target
- (02:27) Stories Found features funny stories that are also embarrassing for the storyteller
- (05:05) Screenwriting and playwriting are mainly what you do
- (06:10) How directly does your personal life seep into and influence your work
- (07:16) Where do you get ideas
- (09:06) So are there screenwriters that influence you
- (09:49) Jonathan, you’re woven into the urban legend of that Target store
- (10:55) Off-Target read by Jonathan Wickremasinghe-Kuhn
- (16:35) This week’s episode sponsor is Magikjaz Creations in Austin, Texas
Featured Organization: 826 National
826 National helps foster a love of creative writing in children. Their mission is to help young people use writing as a tool to ignite and channel their creativity, explore identity, advocate for themselves and their community, and achieve academic and professional success.
You can help 826 advance this goal by volunteering at a local chapter, buying the children’s published works, or shopping at one of their stores which each have a different creative theme. New Orleans offers the The New Orleans Haunting Supply Company. Listeners in Los Angeles can visit The Time Travel Mart, while those in Boston can stop by the Greater Boston Bigfoot Research Institute. There are currently 9 really cool stores like this in cities across the country.
Visit 826national.org to learn more about this amazing program and to see how you can help them continue to foster a love of creative writing in children.
Featured Sponsor: Magikjaz Creations
Magikjaz Creations is a woman, minority, and LGBTQ+ owned business based in Austin, Texas. Jazmyn is a proud Latinx artist who creates jewelry and wearable art and specializes in chainmail and wirework. She offers creative, original pieces that are truly one of a kind. Visit her website at Magikjazcreations.com.
Be our BFF!
Be the first to know about new shows, submissions, inside jokes, and more: